Monday, June 23, 2008

Pen merah, Pen biru, U marah, I love u.

How Do I Love Thee

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints!---I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!---and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

ive been watching a lot of movies right now because i havent much things to do in the house. well actually i do but well, you know.. :P and there has been a lot of movies that include this poem in the script. like the movie My Giant and other movies that i cant remember the titles. and everytime the person reads the poem to his/her lover, i would be like, "hey thats that poem!" and kinda like do my own version of that scene in my head.

the first time i read this poem was from a book of everlasting love poems that i found in Borders. i stayed in that store for a very long time with that book. (didnt want to buy it because my budget on that day was for a dress. :P) reading it made me feel all mushy inside. and then when i reached this poem, my eyes got all teary. HAHA. i know..i know.. they're just words. but i love words. and sometimes, words are all i have. and as deceiving as they can be, i still spend most of my time believing in them.

being a muslim, we are fortunate that we have the Al Qoran as our true guidance. its like the source for everything. and ALLAH knowing that we humans love words with beautiful and rhyming structures, created the Al Qoran exactly that- beautiful, touching and inspiring.

there are plenty of rhyming surahs in the Al Qoran that i love to listen to. especially if they're recited by the Macca's imams, hafizs and of course from my dad. but i have my personal favourite from listening to the Al Qoran cd that my dad likes to play, surah Ar-Rahman. that surah gives me the chills. perhaps its because of the line;

فَبِأَيِّ آلاءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَان


that is repeated for about 30 times (correct me if im wrong) which means;

Which then, of the favours of your Lord will you twain deny?


if you really go deep in the surah, it'll touch you. well actually every surah has the capability to do that but for me, Ar-Rahman does it best. because it rhymes and of course because of ALLAH's reminders and warnings that is emphasized again and again to make us realize of how our actions and deeds as a humble servant would affect our life now and in the life hereafter.

words. say them. read them. write them. decorate them with truth or lies, with honesty or sarcasm, with happiness or pain. because yes, they are that powerful. :)

5 comments:

  1. words...

    sometimes they hurt too......:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. words. One out of zillions of Allah's gift for us all. Yes they are powerful! I love words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mata pena lagi tajam dari mata pedang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wooow shyt~ uh, i mean masyaallah..THIS is a nice piece~ for d first tym i actually tergerak hati nk check d translation out(ar-rahman).. n it was, really beautiful.. intense but yet so refined.. (cam baru actually realise the beauty)
    4 that i thank u.

    p/s: btw, its repeated 31 times kn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. safwan, moja & jazli safwan: very true. :)

    kiddo: ur most welcome. beautiful is the best word to describe the Al Qoran. and i was kinda confused if its 31 or 30. 31 ey? tq for correcting. :)

    ReplyDelete