Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Notebook II



This hols has been a bit slow for me. I've managed to refrain myself from counting the days each time I see a calendar, but I can't really stop my mind from doing calculations by itself. And so, counting makes the waiting much more dreadful. Been trying to keep myself busy but well, at the end of the day, there's always the counting.

Anywaaays, to keep myself occupied I've been burying myself in books. I've run out of
new books to read as me and my brothers have actually recently discovered that we should keep ourselves in a slightly tighter budget. So yeah, the sole reason I would be in a shopping mall right now, (yes, during this Year End Sale) is just to window shop. But knowing that when I'm engrossed in a good book, it actually makes me become less aware of my environment or more particularly the time, I still try to find something to read.

And going through the books I own, The Notebook was just like calling my name. I know that I've made a review about it before. But.. Aaa, the book is just too beautiful.
Too beautiful. I don't normally do repeats, be it books or movies. Because I like surprises and there's no surprise reading a book or watching a movie that you know what's going to happen next. But in this case, I felt like I've never read the book before.

I first read The Notebook 2 years ago, and I guess I was a different person back then. I was still melted by the sweetness of the words- being a born mushy person and all but it just amazes me to notice how different my emotions are and how I could so deeply relate myself to what Noah and Allie go through in the novel, as I read it now. 2 years older. 2 years more of.. well, experience in life. 2 years of growing and much more mature relationships.

So I just thought like sharing a letter Noah wrote to Allie in the novel with you guys. Letters. How could you not love letters? So here it is;


My dearest Allie,

I don't know what to say anymore except that I couldn't sleep last night because I knew that it is over between us. It is a different feeling for me, one that I never expected, but looking back, I suppose it couldn't have ended another way.

You and I were different. We came from different worlds, and yet you were the one who taught me the value of love. You showed me what it was like to care for another, and I am a better man because of it. I don't want you to ever forget that.

I am not bitter because of what has happened. On the contrary, I am secure in knowing that what we had was real, and I am happy we were able to come together for even a short period of time. And if, in some distant place in the future, we see each other in our new lives, I will smile at you with joy, and remember how we spent a summer beneath the trees, learning from each other and growing in love. And maybe, for a brief moment, you'll feel it too and you'll smile back, and savor the memories we will always share together.

I love you Allie.

Noah



I think it's sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. Kan? :') Oh, and good luck for tomorrow guys!




2 comments:

  1. truely.
    knowing that two souls who get along so well doesnt actually belong together (or at least themselves do not think so), it hurts a bit.
    and obviously, i havent read the book. looking forward to it next time i step in popular bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yupp. But then again, I also think the hurt and the challenges would also make the love stronger and even more worthwhile. :)
    You should! You wont regret it!

    ReplyDelete