Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Teaching Update #13





Tomorrow the study week for my students will start. Yesterday I had my last class with all the three groups that I taught. A year ago, the same thing kinda happened. I left my first ever school students after being with them for almost 4 months. And yesterday it was with my first ever university students. After teaching them since June. So yeah, being me, my heart was making its cracking sound inside. I must learn to not get so attached. It's hard, really. After trying to relate and understand their needs for the past few months. To know all their names so well and even recognize their handwriting. To know the ones who are fluent in speaking and struggle with writing. And the ones who write so well yet are shy when speaking. The ones who create new words in their essays which makes me laugh everytime. The ones who are so obsessed with their marks. The ones who don't care at all. The ones who hide each time I call out for a volunteer. The ones who immediately raise their hands when I call out for a volunteer. The ones who would doze off. The ones who would stare wide-eyed and nod excitedly each time they understand something new. The ones who would be in class waiting with the text book opened even before the class time. The ones who would arrive 30 minutes late with swollen eyes. The ones who'd just stare blankly at me. The ones who'd stare too deep and make me kinda scared (haha). The ones who'd keep texting and check their facebook with their Blackberrys. The ones who laugh at my jokes. The ones who didn't even listen to my jokes. The ones who made me frustrated, sad, and angry. The ones who made me laugh, happy and touched. My students were such a bunch of different individuals! It wasn't easy. I spent countless nights sleeping late, searching the web and just racking my brain trying to figure out the most interesting lessons for them. You know, so that their eyes wouldn't get heavy. Or so that they wouldn't fly to lala land. I wasn't the best lecturer that they had. It was my first time, after all. But if only they know how much fun I had with them. How much I learnt from them. How much I wanted and tried to share everything I know with them. Telling them things that my lecturers didn't tell me. Telling them things that I didn't know when I was in their place but should have known. How much I really do want them to succeed. Not just by getting an 'A' but really, just really succeed in life. I just hope they do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. I'll miss them.





11 comments:

  1. ".....How much I really do want them to succeed. Not just by getting an 'A' but really, just really succeed in life. I just hope they do." wow..and I really meant wow!..i like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish all teachers are as passionate and committed as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Azie. I really really envy the way you put your experience into writing in such a beautiful way. I just cant seem to find the correct words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kak Nad: Just something I aim for. :) Thank you.

    Kak Nor: Amin amin. Please pray that I am as passionate and committed as I should be! hehe

    Azila: Waalaikummussalam Miss Azila :) Believe me, it wasnt intended to be as you've described it. It was more of me imagining how they were in class in my head and listing what I can remember hehe. But thank you so much. I'm sure you can describe your amazing experience better. Can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taufik: Don't I just have the kindest readers. Heading there I hope, insyaAllah. Thanks Taufik. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed..
    Though I don't even know you, I'm already proud of you. I'll pray that you're going to be one awesome educator.I always want to be a teacher/lecturer. Knowing that the future teacher will be someone like you, I can take a deep breath and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your post and just had to comment. I cracked up as I read each type of student you mentioned!! But I could tell from your post and how much effort you put into improving the learning experience that you'd be a great educator Insha'Allah. Keep writing; I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tika: Thank you, thank you, thank you for your doa and kind words. :') InsyaAllah, I would really try to be one. May Allah bless you.

    Uniselife: Oh my, reading it again, I do think my words sound rather exaggerated here. I'm afraid I'm not that dedicated in real life. :( But I really do try to. Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad you stumbled by too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masha-Allah, I truly enjoyed reading this blog post, sister Azie Nazri :) I can relate to almost everything you've just mentioned in this entry. As a teacher you get to meet so many different kinds of students and personalities :)

    anyway, can I ask which day of August where you born in? What college course did you major in? English? Have you ever thought about teaching abroad, in a different country?

    www.wisdom.edu.ph?

    wasalaam :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mariam: Yess, there are so many types of students! And for you to acknowledge that could only mean that you're a wonderful and committed teacher. :)

    I was born on the 13th August. Could it be you're born on the same month? I did Teaching English as Second Language (TESL). Would love to go abroad but loving the country too much at the moment hehe.

    You must have so many interesting experiences teaching abroad! Looking forward to reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete